Fans Can Now Use Mobile Devices for Pictures, Video Every Day at the Waste Management Phoenix Open
PHOENIX, Ariz. – The PGA TOUR announced today that it is implementing a more “fan friendly” mobile device policy, allowing spectators to capture video, audio and photos in all areas every day throughout tournament week at PGA TOUR events. The new policy will start with this week’s THE NORTHERN TRUST and includes the Waste Management Phoenix Open, which will be played January 29 – February 4, 2018, at TPC Scottsdale.
“The Waste Management Phoenix Open shares the PGA TOUR’s goal in finding new ways to enhance the overall fan experience and they knocked it out of the park with this new fan-friendly cell phone policy,” said Carlos Sugich, Tournament Chairman for the 2018 WM Phoenix Open. “We have the greatest fans in golf and I know they will be excited to be able to capture all of the great moments during ‘The People’s Open’.”
All content may be used solely for personal purposes (like social media for example) and may not be utilized for any commercial use. Live streaming or shot-by-shot coverage will continue to be prohibited. Data use like texting and surfing the Internet will continue to be permitted in all areas throughout the week, while phone calls remain limited to designated areas.
The previous PGA TOUR policy allowed mobile devices on the tournament grounds all week, but could only be used to take video and pictures on Monday – Wednesday of tournament week. The new PGA TOUR Spectator Mobile Device Policy guidelines are as follows:
- Devices must be on silent at all times; flash may not be used.
- Devices may be used to capture video, audio and photos (content) in all areas throughout tournament week.
- Content may be used for personal purposes (e.g., personal social media); no commercial use.
- No live streaming or real-time coverage (e.g., no shot-by-shot coverage).
- Data use (e.g., texting) is permitted in all areas throughout tournament week.
- Phone calls are allowed only in designated areas.
- Please be respectful of play and do not interfere with players, caddies or media.
- All posted signage and instructions from tournament staff must be observed.
- Failure to comply with this policy may result in the revocation of your ticket.
These new guidelines can also be viewed on the PGA TOUR website at www.pgatour.com/company/mobile-device-policy.html.
The 2018 Waste Management Phoenix Open will be held at TPC Scottsdale January 29 – February 4, 2018. “The People’s Open” is the best-attended golf tournament in the world and has gained legendary status for being the most unique stop on the PGA TOUR. The 2017 tournament broke four attendance records, including a PGA TOUR record 655,434 fans for the week. The 2018 edition will mark the 83rd playing of the event (one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR) and the ninth as the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
The Thunderbirds were founded in 1937 with the mission of promoting the Valley of the Sun through sports. The Thunderbirds consist of 55 “active” members and more than 250 “life” members. In 2016 The Thunderbirds raised a record $9.3 million for charity and have eclipsed $111 million in charitable giving since its inception in 1932. For more information on The Thunderbirds, visit www.thunderbirdscharities.org.