Waste Management Phoenix Open Now The Most Technology-Friendly Golf Tournament on The PGA TOUR
The Waste Management Phoenix Open is now the most technology-friendly golf tournament on the PGA TOUR, evidenced by several “firsts” that help spectators responsibly use mobile devices without disrupting play and by offering unparalleled access to services, information and fan/tournament interaction.
“We’re dedicated to enhancing the fan experience at the WM Phoenix Open,” said 2013 tournament chairman Tom Altieri. “The new technology at this year’s tournament is outstanding and makes it easier for fans, vendors and sponsors to connect with each other and interact with the tournament.”
New technology at the 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open includes:
- For the first time at any PGA TOUR event, the entire course will be a giant hot spot – with free Wi-Fi provided by Cox Business.
- Fans can be part of the action at the 2013 WM Phoenix Open by downloading the official WM Phoenix Open App, sponsored by Kyocera, for smart phones and tablets. The free App, developed by Scottsdale-based AGN Sports, features:
- The ever-popular 16th Hole Caddy Race contest with prizes for participating fans
- An up-to-the-minute leaderboard
- Interactive map of the TPC Scottsdale with “Take-Me-There” navigation for getting to/from various parts of the course (including holes, ATMs, restrooms, concessions, etc.)
- Daily event feature – information and schedule on what’s going on every day
- Detailed hole layouts of the TPC Scottsdale course
- Coors Light Birds Nest lineups and ticket information
- GPS-enabled car finder
- Weather information
- Kyocera will have life-sized “Andy the Android” mascots and mobile Tech Teams outside the 2013 tournament to assist spectators with downloading and using the App, connecting to the free Wi-Fi and offering smart phone assistance.
- The tournament’s mobile web platform, developed by Scottsdale’s Mobile Caviar is designed specifically for small screen (cell phone) mobile devices. The mobile site has several unique features such as self-optimization which allows the site to display information based on several factors including what fans are searching for and continually changes based on time of day, day of week, etc. The mobile platform also integrates text messages which fans can opt into (allowing them to stay up-to-date on the most timely information). There’s even a quick search to find all of the vendors at the tournament.
- This year, the mobile web platform and App include a “Local Guide”, which allows fans to find additional nearby products, services and special offers – all without leaving the Waste Management Phoenix Open mobile website or App.
The new technology initiatives support Waste Management’s “Zero Waste Challenge” by reducing the amount of information distributed by paper at the tournament (brochures, guides, programs, etc) and transferring it to mobile/digital form. In addition, the free Wi-Fi from Cox Business not only provides faster download speeds everywhere on the course, but also cuts through cellular network congestion in the area for fans who just want to make phone calls or text message.
WM Phoenix Open Technology Firsts:
- 2011: First PGA TOUR tournament to have a smart phone app (iPhone only) for leaderboard, tournament services, and Caddy Races
- 2012: First time spectators allowed to use cell phones on tournament grounds. The WM Phoenix Open App (sponsored by Kyocera) expanded to include the Android operating system
- 2013: First PGA TOUR tournament to offer course-wide Wi-Fi from Cox Business. WM Phoenix Open App sponsored by Kyocera expanded to support tablets
“The Waste Management Phoenix Open App by Kyocera has added a new level of fan participation and access to information unmatched by any other event on the PGA TOUR,” said Eric Anderson, senior vice president and general manager of sales and marketing at Kyocera. “With added support for tablets, Facebook giveaways, and the 16th Hole Caddy Race contest, the 2013 Kyocera App offers exciting features that complement the golf action, whether at home on the couch, in a sports bar with friends, or at the ‘Greatest Show on Grass.’”
The Waste Management Phoenix Open will be played January 28 – February 3, 2013, at the TPC Scottsdale. The tournament host Thunderbirds have raised more than $80 million for charities, with more than $50 million generated since 2004. The 2013 edition will mark the 78th playing of the event, making it one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR (not including the major championships). For more information on Waste Management visit wm.com or thinkgreen.com. For more information on the Waste Management Phoenix Open, visit wmphoenixopen.com.